Click here for a PDF version of this page.
Omeka Classic 2.6.1 Feature List
Free, open-source, digital publishing suite for scholars, librarians, archivists, museum professionals, and cultural enthusiasts
- Publish archives, collections, exhibits, teaching materials; and provide ways for the public to interact with your sites.
No contracts or annual fees
- Download and use the software for free.
- Download and use plugins and themes for free.
Easy to use
- Omeka Classic is designed with non-IT specialists in mind, allowing users to focus on content and interpretation rather than programming.
- Omeka Classic is a web application, making it accessible from any computer or mobile device with an internet connection.
- Users say Omeka Classic is “simple,” “logical,” and “unscary.”
Strong community of documentation and support
- Learn to use Omeka Classic with step-by-step tutorials, screencasts, and extensive developer and designer documentation for customizing sites.
- Connect with other Omeka Classic users and the Omeka team through the Forum.
- Track code development, fork and share back with the Omeka team on GitHub.
Extensible, scalable, and flexible
- Omeka Classic can handle large archives of metadata and files (with over 1 million items). The only limitations are on your own server.
- Element sets for institution-specific metadata may be added.
- Zend framework for PHP allows for customization.
- Omeka Classic accepts and stores many types of files, including images, video, audio, multi-page documents and PDFs, Power Point presentations, et al. Individual items may contain multiple files.
- Extend core functionality with dozens of available plugins, or build your own using Omeka Classic’s plugin API.
Standards-based Metadata and Web Design
- Every item, file, and collection contains fields for Unqualified Dublin Core elements. Dublin Core is an internationally-recognized and widely-adopted schema.
- Omeka Classic comes packaged with design themes that follow best practices in accessible web design, are section 508 compliant, have ARIA roles for screen readers, and are responsive to different screen sizes for ease of reading on tablets and mobile phones.
Customizable Web Design
- Omeka Classic’s pre-packaged design themes can be quickly modified in administrative interface by adding logos and tagline, and controlling navigation.
- Custom themes can be built using Omeka Classic’s flexible development API, or by modifying CSS, PHP, or HTML.
- Unqualified Dublin Core data, combined with Omeka Classic-generated feeds and OAI-PMH harvestable data, give Omeka Classic sites the ability to share data among different systems and with other Omeka Classic sites. Dublin Core Extended plugin adds a full complement of all DCMI elements.
- Share your Omeka Classic data through a variety feeds including Atom, DCMES-XML, JSON, and RSS2. With Dublin Core Extended plugin, RDF output is also available.
- Every Omeka Classic site has a REST API enabled which makes your Omeka Classic data discoverable by outside applications.
- Populate an Omeka Classic site by adding items individually or batch adding with data migration and upload tools, such as the OAI-PMH harvester, dropbox plugin for files, and API, CSV, and Zotero importer plugins.
Internationalization of Omeka Classic Code
- Translations available in dozens of languages and anyone may submit new translations.
Publish non-Roman characters.
- Omeka Classic supports Unicode (UTF-8) that allows users to build sites with non-Roman characters, including scientific symbols that display properly in web browsers.
- Enter or import item metadata once, and use items and metadata in multiple instances across website, including exhibits.
Publish narratives using Exhibit Builder.
- Create rich, interpretive exhibits that combine items in your Omeka Classic site with any narrative text.
- Configure each exhibit with a different theme or logo.
Create and organize items into collections.
- Collection Tree plugin allows for collections to be nested.
Use controlled vocabularies.
- Add the Library of Congress Suggest and Simple Vocab plugins to auto-complete the subject field, or create your own controlled list for other Dublin Core fields.
- Scripto opens Dublin Core fields for transcriptions and metadata collection
- Contribution plugin lets you collect stories, images, and other files from visitors to the site.
- Posters plugin allows registered visitors to remix the content of your site.
Tag items and exhibits with keywords.
- Customize search to include items, collections, exhibits, and all web pages.
- Create customized reports with a simple HTML export, or PDF export that prints QR Codes.
Display items on a map
- Assign locations to items on maps and add maps to exhibits using Geolocation
Analyze and annotate your items
- Conduct textual analysis on the items in your Omeka Classic site using the Ngram and Text Analysis plugins.
- Create annotated images in your exhibits using Exhibit Image Annotation.
- Enable users to annotate the text of your site using Text Annotation.
Visitor Experience with an Omeka Classic site
See the Omeka Classic Showcase for examples of site designs and experiences possible with an Omeka Classic site.
- Visitors with a variety of web browsers, internet bandwidth, and devices can access your site because packaged themes are designed to be ADA compliant (section 508), and responsive to different screen sizes.
- Visitors have multiple access points to browse your content by items, collections, exhibits, maps, and other pages.
- Searching allows anyone to conduct keyword, Boolean, or exact match searches across all content, or to refine item searches to any Dublin Core metadata field, tag, collection, or item type.
- Pre-packaged design themes offer logical website architecture for easy navigation.
- Invite the public to contribute content, crowdsource metadata, including transcriptions, and comment on items with Contribution, Scripto, and Commenting plugins.
- Researchers can easily save Omeka Classic items and metadata to their Zotero libraries.
- Let visitors share items they like with their social networks by adding the Social Bookmarking plugin.
- Guest users may favorite and annotate items with Posters plugin.