DSpace Connector is a module for Omeka S which allows you to connect an Omeka S instance to a DSpace repository to import items from that repository. In addition to importing information, the Omeka S item will include a link back to the original item.
To install DSpace Connector, follow the instructions for Installing Modules on the Modules documentation.
Note that DSpace Connector only works with DSpace versions 5.6 and higher.
You can view past imports by going to the DSpace Connector tab on the left-hand navigation of the admin dashboard and clicking the Past Imports sub-tab.
To use DSpace Connector, navigate to the tab labelled DSpace Connector on the left-hand navigation of the admin dashboard.
To import from a DSpace Repository:
On the first form, enter the following information:
- DSpace site URL for the Repository - note that you have to enter the entire url, including the
- Endpoint for the api (required. by default this is "rest" but may be changed in the DSpace instance);
- Limit or maximum number of results to retrieve at once.
Then click Get collections and communities
If the information above has been correctly entered, you will proceed to the DSpace Connector Import Options page. This has three tabs.
Basic Import Settings
This tab has three options:
- Import files into Omeka S: click this checkbox to import files in addition to metadata.
- Item Set: select an item set from the dropdown into which to import the items, or create a new item set named for the imported Dspace Collection.
- Ignored Fields: DSpace metadata fields to ignore on import, separated by commas.
- Comment: for any comments you have.
This tab will display the list of collections for the DSpace repository, organized by containing community. You can import either one collection at a time or the entire DSpace repository.
To import a single collection, click the Import button to the left of its name. This will automatically begin the import.
To import the entire repository, click 'Import entire repository' at the top of the form.
NOTE: Importing an entire DSpace repository with a large number of items (>5,000) is likely to flood the DSpace hosting server with requests until failure. Consider importing collection by collection if at all possible. If you still wish to import an entire large repository at once, the following might help:
- On the initial Import Settings menu, set Limit to a smaller number such as 50 or 25
- Run the import at night and/or whenever there may be less traffic on your DSpace server
- Consider temporarily inserting a
sleep()function between the import of each record in
Import.phpto slow the process down slightly (not recommended for production)
You can track the status of the import by navigating to the DSpace Connector > Past Imports tab or on the Jobs tab of the left-hand navigation on the admin dashboard.
- Are your jobs starting and not completing? You might need to set the path for PHP so that your system can perform the background process to make the items.
Go to the DSpace Connector tab on the left-hand navigation of the admin dashboard, click on DSpace Connector and then click on Past Imports, which should appear below the DSpace Connector tab.
This page displays a table of Past DSpace Imports, with a checkbox option to Undo, the Job ID for the import, the repository’s Dspace Collection Link, any Comments made during import, the number of Items imported, the Date of the import, the import Status, and the Owner, or user who initiated the import.
Update Imported Resources
To update resources created using the DSpace Connector, simply re-run an import from the same source. The resources will be updated, not reimported. This allows you to use the Connector to synch data between your DSpace and Omeka S installations.
Undo an Import
To undo a completed import and remove all associated items, go to the DSpace Connector tab on the left-hand navigation of the admin dashboard, click on DSpace Connector and then click on Past Imports, which should appear below the DSpace Connector tab.
Check the box for each import you wish to undo and click submit.