Extract OCR (plugin upgraded for Omeka S)
Module for Omeka S to extract OCR text in XML from PDF files, allowing fulltext searching within Universal Viewer plugin for omeka S need IIIF-Search module).
- This module needs
pdftohtmlcommand-line tool on your server, from the poppler utilities:
# Debian and derivatives sudo apt install poppler-utils # Red Hat and derivatives sudo dnf install poppler-utils
- Currently, the module requires to set the base uri in the config file of Omeka
config/local.config.phpin order to upload the file in background:
'file_store' => [ 'local' => [ 'base_path' => null, // Or the full path on the server if needed. 'base_uri' => 'https://example.org/files', ], ],
- Upload and unzip the Extract OCR module folder into your modules folder on the server, or you can install the module via github:
cd omeka-s/modules git clone firstname.lastname@example.org:bubdxm/Omeka-S-module-ExtractOcr.git "ExtractOcr"
- Take care to rename the folder "ExtractOcr".
- Install it from the admin → Modules → Extract Ocr -> install
- Extract OCR automaticaly allows the upload of XML files.
Using the Extract OCR module
- Create an item
- Save this Item
- After save, add PDF file(s) to this item
- To locate extracted OCR xml file, select the item to which the PDF is attached. Normally, you should see an XML file attached to the record with the same filename than the pdf file.
- IIIF-Server: Module for Omeka S that adds the IIIF specifications to serve any images and medias.
- IIIF-Search: Module for Omeka S that adds IIIF Search Api for fulltext searching on universal viewer.
- Universal Viewer: Module for Omeka S that includes UniversalViewer, a unified online player for any file. It can display books, images, maps, audio, movies, pdf, 3D views, and anything else as long as the appropriate extensions are installed. Or any other IIIF viewers, like Mirador.
See online Extract OCR issues.
This module is published under GNU/GPL.
This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by the Free Software Foundation; either version 3 of the License, or (at your option) any later version.
This program is distributed in the hope that it will be useful, but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. See the GNU General Public License for more details.
You should have received a copy of the GNU General Public License along with this program; if not, write to the Free Software Foundation, Inc., 51 Franklin Street, Fifth Floor, Boston, MA 02110-1301 USA.