Hiring: Omeka Full-Stack Developer
Omeka is an open-source project that develops web publishing software for cultural heritage organizations, researchers, and members of the public. Our software is recommended by universities worldwide and used by curators, archivists, librarians, students, scholars, and many others.
We’re committed to providing equal employment opportunity and a work environment free from any discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, marital status, or pregnancy status.
We’re looking for a full-stack developer to work on the Omeka family of web publishing platforms (Omeka Classic, Omeka.net, and Omeka S) and their extensions. Your job will be, most simply, to make Omeka as good as it can be, working on any part of the project to help advance that goal. This position is for someone with a wide range of skills: you should be comfortable obsessing over a stray pixel in a user interface or extending a web API. Your work might include improving the Omeka Classic or Omeka S core software and extensions, improving the Omeka.net services stack to support users, or enhancing developer tools and documentation to make it easier for others to contribute to Omeka. As part of a small team, you’ll have responsibility to collaborate on core components of the project and the freedom to experiment and find creative solutions to tough problems. Most importantly, you’ll participate in a vibrant open-source community with amazing community developers and passionate users.
We’re a dispersed team with an anchor group in Fairfax VA, and in happier times, we meet up quarterly, but you’ll primarily be working remotely, communicating with the Omeka Team and users via Slack, forums, and GitHub, and web conference. We have a highly collaborative but asynchronous workflow, and you’ll be in control of your own schedule. Our hours are flexible and variable, but we maintain core availability between 10am and 4pm Eastern (America/New York).
- Experience building user-facing software and/or web apps
- Experience working with and/or developing web APIs
- Strong opinions about how software should work, with the empathy to understand how it’s used in the real world
- Willingness to engage directly with users in public forums to troubleshoot problems and discuss new features
- Strong attention to accessibility standards and security issues — Omeka is designed to put users in control of their own content, and we factor that into every decision we make
- Strong English communication skills — we discuss and debate nearly everything we do, so it’s critical that you can (and want to!) take part in that
- Experience with Zend 3/Laminas web application framework
- Experience with PHPUnit testing framework
- Familiarity with linked open data standards and practices
- Experience developing web applications for humanities scholars and cultural heritage organizations
- Previous remote work experience (ideally prior to two months ago)
- A love of free and open-source software
This is an, open-ended, contract position, with the possibility of full-time work.
Interested? Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “Omeka Full-Stack Developer,” let us know why you’re interested in working with us and why you think you’d be a good fit for this role, and include your resume.