xlsx file types not viewing correctly

Problem after upgrading from Omeka 1.5 to Omeka 2.1.4:

When I upload an excel sheet with file type .xlsx
The file is not displayed properly all rubish charatectes. When I upload the same file with .xls filetype everything is ok. Seems to be a bug?

Is there a solution?

Can you post an example of the display you're getting?

Omeka on its own doesn't really display spreadsheets, though it's possible that Omeka 2+ would attempt to create a thumbnail for one.

Perhaps relatedly, Omeka incorrectly reports *.xlsx files' MIMEtype as application/zip when it should be application/vnd.openxmlformats-officedocument.spreadsheetml.sheet. But I suspect that's a problem with whatever's detecting the MIMEtype (magic file?) rather than Omeka itself.

Yes, that's basically down to the "file" library and its set of magic patterns.

With file 5.18, I correctly get "application/vnd.openxmlformats-officedocument.spreadsheetml.sheet" for a very simple xslx uploaded to Omeka.

Can you explain how to use file 5.18. What should i do?

The stuff about the MIME type is somewhat off on a tangent relative to your original question. It could be relevant, but it could easily be ImageMagick or a plugin that's at fault.

I'm still not sure what your issue is. Can you post a screenshot?

Problem solved had to add office 2007+ mimetypes in the apache webserver config file.

I used the following command

wget -O /etc/httpd/conf/mime.types http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/httpd/httpd/trunk/docs/conf/mime.types

I also addes some handlers in .htaccess

AddType application/vnd.ms-word.document.macroEnabled.12 .docm
AddType application/vnd.openxmlformats-officedocument.wordprocessingml.document docx
AddType application/vnd.openxmlformats-officedocument.wordprocessingml.template dotx
AddType application/vnd.ms-powerpoint.template.macroEnabled.12 potm
AddType application/vnd.openxmlformats-officedocument.presentationml.template potx
AddType application/vnd.ms-powerpoint.addin.macroEnabled.12 ppam
AddType application/vnd.ms-powerpoint.slideshow.macroEnabled.12 ppsm
AddType application/vnd.openxmlformats-officedocument.presentationml.slideshow ppsx
AddType application/vnd.ms-powerpoint.presentation.macroEnabled.12 pptm
AddType application/vnd.openxmlformats-officedocument.presentationml.presentation pptx
AddType application/vnd.ms-excel.addin.macroEnabled.12 xlam
AddType application/vnd.ms-excel.sheet.binary.macroEnabled.12 xlsb
AddType application/vnd.ms-excel.sheet.macroEnabled.12 xlsm
AddType application/vnd.openxmlformats-officedocument.spreadsheetml.sheet xlsx
AddType application/vnd.ms-excel.template.macroEnabled.12 xltm
AddType application/vnd.openxmlformats-officedocument.spreadsheetml.template xltx

Don' forget restart the webserver and clear your browser cache

This is for a centos 5 server


That sounds like Omeka wasn't actually involved in this problem. Your server was probably telling browsers that the xlsx files were actually plain text files or something similar, leading them to display them as gibberish instead of downloading them.

Thanks for sharing your solution.