Public site unavailable-error

I am not sure if this is a bug, but my site is stuck on this message:

Public site unavailable until the upgrade completes.


  • Started ftp upload of 1.3, but laptop went to sleep. Deleted files and started over.
  • Completed upload and opened my site. After a delay received formatted error page telling me .htaccess was not in Admin directory.
  • Fixed .htaccess on Admin and got to the Installation page.
  • Completed and submitted Install page, including a complex password. This generated a long fatal error type code string. After that, refreshing page returned "Public site unavailable ..."
  • Did a complete REINSTALL this morning. But continued to get the "Public site ..." message.
  • Checked .htaccess files and fixed Archive directory as described in Omeka documentation. Still stuck.

I am using Webfaction. This is a new install and I am new to hosting. However, I have WP, Joomla and Drupal running on two different sites so I know I am doing something right.

Thanks for your attention to this.

Phil Caine

The "Public site unavailable" message you're seeing happens when you've upgraded to a new Omeka version while using the same database. Normally you would just need to go to "/admin" under your Omeka path, but since this is a brand new installation for you, it seems like your aborted first installation attempt has left you with a partially-installed database.

You probably need to clear your database before you try installing again. You can drop and re-create the database, just drop the "omeka_" tables, or simply make a new database and point your db.ini file at the new one.

Ok, I deleted the SQL database and created a new one and reloaded everything.

This all went fine and got me right to the Installation page.

I used tpc3nm_omeka as the user name. Is the underscore the offending non-alpha numeric choice? Or does it turn out to be a reserved word since I am duplicating the database name and user?

I also used a complex password including ! and @. But now, I am looking at the username as the culplprit. (I moved on from the error statement too quickly last time.)

Here is the ERROR statement I saw before and mentioned in the first post:

Fatal error: Uncaught exception 'Installer_Task_Exception' with message 'New user does not validate: Username: The username must be alphanumeric.' in /home/tpc3nm/webapps/omeka/application/models/Installer/Task/User.php:92 Stack trace: #0 /home/tpc3nm/webapps/omeka/application/models/Installer/Default.php(85): Installer_Task_User->install(Object(Omeka_Db)) #1 /home/tpc3nm/webapps/omeka/application/models/Installer/Default.php(54): Installer_Default->_createUser() #2 /home/tpc3nm/webapps/omeka/install/controllers/IndexController.php(61): Installer_Default->install() #3 /home/tpc3nm/webapps/omeka/application/libraries/Zend/Controller/Action.php(513): IndexController->indexAction() #4 /home/tpc3nm/webapps/omeka/application/libraries/Zend/Controller/Dispatcher/Standard.php(289): Zend_Controller_Action->dispatch('indexAction') #5 /home/tpc3nm/webapps/omeka/application/libraries/Zend/Controller/Front.php(946): Zend_Controller_Dispatcher_Standard->dispatch(Object(Zend_Controller_Request_Http), Object(Zend_Controller_Response_Htt in /home/tpc3nm/webapps/omeka/application/models/Installer/Task/User.php on line 92

And after moving on from the error statement, the page inviting me to delete the install directory and look at my application appears before leading me to the same error as before:

"Public site is unavailable until the upgrade completes."

Sigh . . . I'll try this drill again and use a different, no underscore, user name.

Yes, it appears that the underscore is the problematic character there.

We'll look into fixing this problem, the installer form shouldn't allow you to proceed with a non-alphanumeric username.


All is good at this point.

Thanks for your help.

Phil Caine