I'm volunteering at El Centro de la Raza, a space for the Latino community in Seattle. They used to have a book store, and they also have been collecting documents and artworks since the 70s. The result is an immense attic full of documents ready to be catalogued for different purposes, so we chose Omeka as our software to make this happen.
I'm in charge of the Library part of it, and I have some specific questions about it. I would really appreciate an answer on these:
1) Item types: I see that the default item type intended for books is "Text", as I don't see anything specific to books. Should I create and customize my own item type? Any recommendation for the fields I should include?
2) Retrieve information from external sources: since filling all the fields for every single books we have (around 4000) can be a considerable amount of time, I wonder if there is a plugin or process you can recommend so I just insert the ID (ISBN) of every book and I get all the information downloaded from somewhere like Library of Congress.I.e.: http://classify.oclc.org/classify2/ClassifyDemo?search-standnum-txt=0826412769&startRec=0
3) Localization: the books are currently in boxes, and they should remain in this container until we have a definitive place for their public exhibition. Any suggestion for the custom field for this? Somewhere I can add "Box 2" to facilitate its temporary location.
3) They also have a lot of periodic publications. What would be the best way to classify those? Just adding the title of the magazine/newspaper and then having a field for the issues that we have?
4) Other item types: comics, media (records, video), picture books, zines/pamphlets... Any recommendation for these as well?