I'm trying to set up a new installation of Omeka on an AWS instance with Amazon Linux, and I've run into a stumbling block. I'm trying to get to the installation screen, and so far all I get is the generic "Omeka has encountered an error" screen. The thing is, I've uncommented
SetEnv APPLICATION_ENV development in the .htaccess file, I've changed the value of
debug.exceptions to in the config.ini file, and I've set
true. I've also set the permissions on the logs folder and the errors.log file to 777, just to eliminate permissions errors for now. My errors.log file still stays empty, and the error screen has stayed the same. As of now, I'm not getting any error messages out of the installation. Any help would be much appreciated.
Sometimes there's a quirk on systems such that the
/install url doesn't work, but
install/install.php does. Doesn't really get at any underlying issue, but might get over that hurdle.
I went around the
/install url to
/install/install.php, but now I'm getting a lot of URLs not resolving. All I can reliably access are the homepage and the admin page, with everything else giving a 404. They work when I change
/admin/index.php/items, so I think that I haven't gottnen mod_rewrite working properly (which was the stumbling block setting it up locally). I'll keep trying to modify the .htaccess file in the same way as other mod_rewrite questions, but if there's any particular insight you can give, I'd appreciate it.
It's possible that you just don't have your server set up to respect .htaccess files at all (that's the
AllowOverride setting in your main Apache config).
That would simultaneously explain mod_rewrite problems and problems getting errors printed, because your server's just not reading that file at all.
I've been thinking that might be an issue, but I'm not sure what's wrong. Here's some directory settings from my httpd.conf:
# Allow open access:
Require all granted
Options Indexes FollowSymLinks
Require all granted
AuthName "Site under development"
require user dev-user
In the last one I'm just password-protecting the site domain while it's under development. How does it look?
The easiest way to tell if the .htaccess is being read at all is to just dump a little gibberish line in there. If Apache is actually reading the file, you'll get an Internal Server Error.'
If the .htaccess is getting read, the next most likely thing is that the rewrite module just isn't enabled.
That's a great tip, thanks! I did that, and my .htaccess file is being read.
I also commented out my password protections section of my httpd.conf file, and restarted apache. I've now noticed that that shouldn't have had any effect, since it's for a different directory, but the site seems to be working now, and I've successfully password-protected it from the .htaccess file.
I'm still not sure what went wrong, so if it happens again I'll post again, but until then, thanks for your help!