Themes determine the the look and feel of the public side of your Omeka site.
Most themes have a number of settings which can be customized in the admin dashboard by superusers of the site. If you want to further customize a theme, or create your own, you can do so by editing the files on the server side
Installing a Theme
Watch our screencast which goes through the steps below.
To add and activate a new plugin for your Omeka installation, follow these steps:
- Download and unzip the file on your desktop.
- Open your FTP client.
- Use your FTP login info to access your site.
- Navigate to your Omeka folder. It should have the same name as your Omeka install, and may be located in the public_html folder
- Open the /themes folder
- Upload your new theme folder into your Omeka website's /theme folder. Sometimes the unpacked theme is inside a folder of the same name so make sure you are uploading the correct directory.
- NB: your theme must be inside the /themes folder
- If the name of the folder includes "-theme" you will need to remove that phrase for the theme to work properly.
- Log in to your Omeka admin panel
- Navigate to Appearance in the top nav bar. You should immediately be in the Themes section.
- If the theme is not visible, return to step 6 and double-check
- Click "Use This Theme" to finish the process.
- Click “Configure Theme” if desired.
Configuring a Theme
Configurations let you make choices about the look of your site, including adding a logo and homepage text, managing featured elements, and adding footer text.
The configuration settings you make are unique to each theme and will be saved with that theme. Not all themes have the same configuration settings.
To configure your theme, click the “Configure Theme” button below the theme graphic to customize your site. While not all themes have the same configuration settings, most will have the following two sections:
Header and Footer configuration options are:
- Logo file. You may upload a logo file that will replace the site title in the header of the theme. Recommended maximum width for the logo is 500px.
- Header background. Upload an image file that will display across the top of your public website.
- Footer text. An HTML-enabled text box where you can enter text for a site footer to appear on every page.
- Display copyright in footer. Check this box if you wish to display your site’s copyright information in the footer. Site copyright information is found in the General Settings section.
- Use Advanced Site-wide search. Check this box to allow public-side site visitors to search the whole site, including items, collections, and files, and to use boolean methods when searching.
Homepage configuration options:
- Display Featured Item. Check this box if you wish to show a featured item on the homepage.
- Display Featured Collection. Check this box if you wish to show a featured collection on the homepage.
- Display Featured Exhibit. Check this box if you wish to show a featured exhibit on the homepage.
- Homepage Recent Items. Choose the number of recent items to be displayed on the homepage. These will appear in the order in which they were mostly recently added to the archive.
- Homepage Text. Add some text to be displayed on your homepage above the Featured Items. This is a good place to add a very short tagline or description of your site. Save longer explanations for an About page.
Remember to save changes.