PHP CLI needed?

Hi,
I'm having trouble with the search (it doesn't work) and I get a message saying PHP CLI needs to be installed for it to work. My host (midphase) doesn't have PHP CLI so does this mean there is no way of running the search engine?
If so, can it be added as a requirement to the "Preparing to install" page please?

If you don't have PHP CLI, Omeka's background process stuff won't work. The "Reindex" command for the search is a background process by default, but records should update themselves in the index on their own as they're saved (you just can't update them all at once).

However, you can change how Omeka will execute the search reindex and other normally-backgrounded jobs, in your application/config/config.ini:

jobs.dispatcher.longRunning = "Omeka_Job_Dispatcher_Adapter_Synchronous"

This does all the work that would otherwise happen in the background during a single web request, and doesn't require PHP CLI. Timeouts become a possible issue though, but the default adapter just won't work at all for you if you don't have the CLI.

John,
That worked brilliantly. And I couldn't reindex items by saving them, I had to delete them and re-add them for them to come into the search.
So if I leave the longrunning dispatcher set to Synchronous, will that mean everything should work, just a bit slower?
Tas