Omeka working with newer versions of Ubuntu, PHP, etc.

My IT server staff has this evaluation. Can anyone respond?

• The bad news is I don’t know what I’m supposed to do to test it, so I can’t really tell you whether it works well or not. I get errors when viewing collections and stuff, but that’s probably because there are no collections. It may also be that newer versions of Apache and MySQL don’t have the same local paths that Omeka wants… not sure.
• The other bad news. Documentation is severely out of date for this. The latest Omeka documentation is for Ubuntu 10.04 (a 3.5 year old release)– Current version is 16.04- and PHP 5 (PHP is now on v7). This matters because certain core libraries, paths and syntaxes for apache, PHP, Ubuntu Linux, and mysql have changed drastically over the past 3 years. I am not a webdev, nor am I a dbadmin, so I simply don’t have the knowledge to be able to fix any bugs that exist or come up.

He is very reluctant to use Omeka.org. He thinks it will require many hours of extra IT management.

The user-contributed guides to setting up Omeka on Ubuntu are out of date. However, the general instructions for installation usually work fine.

It sounds like you got an installation up and running, but saw some odd errors. We can help in troubleshooting those if you have access to Omeka's logs and files.

Generally speaking, if WordPress can get up and running on a server, it should be possible to get Omeka up and running without too much work.

I just went through this, after upgrading from Ubuntu 15.10 to 16.04 this afternoon.

I had to do the following to get things righted after the upgrade:
sudo apt-get install libapache2-mod-php
sudo apt-get install php7.0-mysql
sudo apt-get install php7.0-xml
sudo service apache2 restart

Also, php config is now /etc/php/7.0/apache2/php.ini, so if you had modified max upload/post sizes in /etc/php5/apache2/php.ini, you need to make the same changes in this file.

I have not verified every plugin, but that seems to get most things working as before.

I've done all the apt-get's davidalevine suggested and have also added to /etc/php/7.0/apache2/php.ini:

extension=exif.so
extension=mysqli.so

and ran:

but Omeka insists that:

> Omeka Database Error
>
> The Mysqli extension is required for this adapter but the extension is not loaded.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

It might be needing to enable it in apache2.conf.

Thanks. I managed to get Omeka to work after doing the following additional apt-get's and enabling them in php.ini:

sudo apt-get install php7.0-mysqlnd php7.0-bz2 php7.0-curl php7.0-mbstring

add to /etc/php/7.0/apache2/php.ini:
extension=bz2.so
extension=curl.so
extension=fileinfo.so
extension=json.so
extension=mbstring.so
extension=exif.so
extension=mysqlnd.so
extension=mysqli.so

then:

Omeka seems to be working for me now. Thanks.

Ran into a number of other missing php extensions. In the end I added all the extensions available in /usr/lib/php/2015/1012/ and Omeka is happy for now.