Modifying the individual collection page

Hi everybody, is there a way to make changes to the individual collection page? (collections/show/) In its default it shows name, description, items and comments one after the other and the page becomes too long. I tried playing with the CSS but I can't do it as I want, I need to make some changes to HTML.

Also is there a way to make the comment box smaller? Thanks!

If you're running your own site, you can change the HTML for the collections page, like mostly any other page, by editing your theme. The file would be collections/show.php.

In this case, it also seems like you're looking to make some changes in the Commenting plugin, which would have to be made elsewhere.

Hey John, thanks for your input! Can you be a bit more specific regarding:

"In this case, it also seems like you're looking to make some changes in the Commenting plugin, which would have to be made elsewhere. "

How can I change the Commenting plugin and more specifically - make it smaller?

You can change the number of rows in the textarea by going to Commenting/CommentForm.php around lines 48 to 62, and adding in the 'rows' attribute. Change this:

$this->addElement('textarea', 'body',
            array('label'=>__('Comment'),
                  'description'=> __("Allowed tags:") . " <p>, <a>, <em>, <strong>, <ul>, <ol>, <li>",
                  'id'=>'comment-form-body',
                  'required'=>true,

'filters'=> array(
                      array('StripTags',
                              array('allowTags' => array('p', 'span', 'em', 'strong', 'a','ul','ol','li'),
                                    'allowAttribs' => array('style', 'href')
                                     ),
                              ),
                      ),
                )
            );

to

$this->addElement('textarea', 'body',
            array('label'=>__('Comment'),
                  'description'=> __("Allowed tags:") . " <p>, <a>, <em>, <strong>, <ul>, <ol>, <li>",
                  'id'=>'comment-form-body',
                  'required'=>true,
                  'attribs' => array('rows' => 2),
                  'filters'=> array(
                      array('StripTags',
                              array('allowTags' => array('p', 'span', 'em', 'strong', 'a','ul','ol','li'),
                                    'allowAttribs' => array('style', 'href')
                                     ),
                              ),
                      ),
                )
            );

where 'attribs' => array('rows' => 2), sets the number of rows for the comment form.

Keep in mind that this will change the size of the box for all comment forms, including on Items.

You could also remove comments from the collection page completely by going to Commenting/CommentingPlugin.php and commenting out the hook to the collection page:

protected $_hooks = array(
        'install',
        'uninstall',
        'public_items_show',
        //'public_collections_show',
        'public_head',
        'admin_head',
        'config_form',
        'config',
        'define_acl',
        'after_delete_record',
        'upgrade',
        'initialize'
    );

Thanks a lot for the detailed and quick response, Patrick! Are these files located in the omeka installation directory? Because I am actually modifying a website for a company and I don't have omeka installed on my computer (just working with the CSS) so I cannot check it myself/

Yeah. They should be in {OmekaRoot}/plugins/Commenting/CommentingForm.php and {OmekaRoot}/plugins/Commenting/CommentingPlugin.php