Forums » mod_rewrite error resolution

RSS feed for this topic

Info

  1. I didn't see this mentioned anywhere so I thought I'd mention it here. I just had some difficulty while installing Omeka. I got the mod_rewrite is not enabled error and have just spent a ridiculous amount of time tracking down why. After testing that mod_rewrite was indeed working and trying all sorts of other things I discovered that the problem was:

    My server didn't know its own hostname. Specifically, I was testing without using the fully qualified name. Once I added that to the /etc/hosts file everything worked splendidly.

    ie. If my server is named myserver.mydomain.net then I was testing by simply using http://myserver/omeka/ which failed because at the very least 127.0.0.1 was not mapped to "myserver" although it was to "myserver.mydomain.net".

    Lesson learned and I figured I should mention it here.

  2. I had run into similar issues during the install using a host of "localhost", however switching to using 127.0.0.1 from the browser for the duration of the install process resolved the issue.

    Once installed, browsing using a host of "localhost" in the browser seemed to work fine.

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.