Different public viewing rights?

My English may fail me...

There's the possibility to upload two or more files to one "item". I think this feature could be useful to make an archive that has small jpg's for public use and big tiff's for internal / institutional use.

For example. I have a digital image of a Dürer woodcut. It's tiff and about 15 MB. I have made an jpg of it of about 2 MB that is good enough for public viewing. So I would like to upload 1 Item (the Dürer woodcut) consisting of two images with different file formats and sizes, one small enough for public viewing, one bigger and not compressed for archival purposes. So I would like to have the possibility to make one of the files public and the other not. It seems to me that at the moment I can only decide whether the item is public (or featured) or not, not the single belonging files.

In my scenario in the item view I get two same looking thumbnails at the end of the metadata entry. I also would like to have the opportunity to mark them as different in any way: perhaps by showing rudimentary file metadata with them. (For example: <<Picture1>> jpg, 660x480; <<picture2>> tiff, 1320x960).

Hello jge,

Thank you for your suggestion about being able to make some files public and others not within the same item.

While Omeka may certainly be used as a collections management system its primary goal is for making archives and exhibits available to the public, and so we weren't thinking about needing a function to keep a high-quality image private while making a low-res image available within the same item.

We will certainly throw this idea around at a team meeting.

Thanks,
Sheila

Thank you for considering it.

Please do handle my second suggestion independent from this: even if I make all the different files of the same image public I would like to give the viewer the possibility to chose what he needs from the item page. Now there are exactly identical looking thumbnails of my very diffently sized jpgs. It means that a viewer has to open each file to recognize the difference between them.
A colleague has managed to let the file names show up near the thumbnails (by throwing in some php code, I think), but this is only a less-than-ideal solution, because it puts some constrain on how the image files are to be named.
Hhm, it dawns on me that you put in the possibility to have different files in the same item page for other reasons than the ones I would like to have them? --

Can you tell me something about my other post concerning translation of omeka?

One suggestion would be to edit the items/show page and include some text that tells visitors how to recognize the file size by your file naming convention. This would require you to be consistent with file naming, but it sounds like you are striving to do that already.

Regarding a translation of Omeka, what exactly do you mean? Currently, Omeka can be used for many different languages and character sets. In order for the individual pages, such as items/show or an exhibit layout, to display on the public site in a different language you would have to edit those pages yourself. The same applies for the /admin pages as well.

Here is an example of how Omeka can be used to create an exhibit in a language other than English from our recently-launched site, Gulag: Many Days, Many Lives: http://gulaghistory.org/exhibits/days-and-lives-r
Here, only one exhibit is in Russian, but the archive could also be in Russian.

Did I answer your question?

Sheila

Thanks again. The russian page looks good!

Translation: Yes, I meant to show all pages in a different language: not only the public ones but the admin ones as well, for my german colleagues who are not so fluent in english. For example I have to translate the Dublin Core metadata set (or rather implement the german translation of dc that already exists). It took me a while to find the corresponding pages, so I thought it might be easier if I could get a list of files that contain translatable texts.

And I thought that you might be interested in translations of the software in other languages, so I hoped perhaps you had already thought of a way to do that easily.

By the way: we started with the thought that we could use the bilingual plugin. But there were difficulties. My colleague got the following entry in the error.log:

=======================
Type: Exception
Date: 2008-05-29T16:39:02+0200Please provide a language when configuring Bilingual plugin!/srv/www/htdocs/omeka-0.9.1.1/plugins/Bilingual/plugin.php:89
#0 [internal function]: BilingualPlugin->config(Array)
#1 /srv/www/htdocs/omeka-0.9.1.1/application/libraries/plugins.php(168): call_user_func_array(Array, Array)
#2 /srv/www/htdocs/omeka-0.9.1.1/application/libraries/plugins.php(187): PluginBroker->config('Bilingual')
#3 /srv/www/htdocs/omeka-0.9.1.1/application/controllers/PluginsController.php(57): PluginBroker->install('Bilingual')
#4 /srv/www/htdocs/omeka-0.9.1.1/application/libraries/Zend/Controller/Action.php(497): PluginsController->installAction()
#5 /srv/www/htdocs/omeka-0.9.1.1/application/libraries/Zend/Controller/Dispatcher/Standard.php(237): Zend_Controller_Action->dispatch('installAction')
#6 /srv/www/htdocs/omeka-0.9.1.1/application/libraries/Zend/Controller/Front.php(911): Zend_Controller_Dispatcher_Standard->dispatch(Object(Zend_Controller_Request_Http), Object(Zend_Controller_Response_Http))
#7 /srv/www/htdocs/omeka-0.9.1.1/application/libraries/Omeka/Core.php(317): Zend_Controller_Front->dispatch()
#8 /srv/www/htdocs/omeka-0.9.1.1/admin/index.php(33): Omeka_Core->dispatch()
#9 {main}
=======================

He said to me that there never was a possibility to "provide a language" (as wanted in the first line above). So he does not understand the error (neither do I). Can you tell me something about it?
Sorry that I stray of the topic...

Hi,
We do not have plans for offering translations at the moment, because we have a relatively small team working on Omeka. But that is where our Omeka community can contribute. For our sister project, Zotero, members of their user base have translated their Quick Start Guide into different languages, for instance: http://www.zotero.org/documentation/quick_start_guides_in_other_languages

We do not have a list of all of the files with text needing translation, since there are many.
Here are some general tips on finding files:

* /themes/ directories contain folders holding all of the publicly displayed pages.
* "common" folders contain header and footer files.
* admin/themes directory contains folders that correspond to the backend pages.

And, we are looking into the issue with the bilingual plugin.

Sheila

Hi Sheila,

I've translated Omeka frontend in Serbian (Berlin theme), but couldn't find where Search and Advanced Search lines are generated from. I searched for them in files but without any results. Can you help me on this?

In case you don't understand what I'm talking about (because of my English) here is the link http://cacak-dis.rs/kolekcije/

Please notice search field in the upper right corner, it's the only text in English.

Hi,

You can modify the text link by editing the header.php file found in the common folder of your theme.

Find this div, and then you can add in the word you want to appear in the search boxes within the single quotes found in parentheses after echo simple_simple and link_to_advanced_search

<div id="search-wrap">
<?php echo simple_search(''); ?>
<?php echo link_to_advanced_search(''); ?>
</div>

These directions from the Codex will help:
http://omeka.org/codex/Theme_API/link_to_advanced_search

That's it!
Thanks

Hi, I have a problem with manually translating the theme in Romanian. I've noticed that some displayed texts such as "title", "description" and "posting consent" can only be changed directly in the database. So I've done that and afterward noticed that the display stopped working because of my changes in the database.

What should I do now? Leave the changes in the database and then global replace theme across php files? Or is there a way to change the text from somewhere else?

Any help is highly appreciated.

Thanks!

Hi, I was wondering if there has been any more discussion about the original post topic of different public viewing rights.

For the collection website I am putting together, reproductions of some of the works in the collection cannot be displayed publicly because of copyright issues but we still use them internally for record keeping. It would be great if there was a little toggle that turned files from public to private. Thanks!

I should also say that we would like all the records on the site to be viewable--just some would be without images because of the copyright limitations.

At the moment, there is no way to toggle files as private or public.

There might be a way to edit the file meta (which is seperate from the item metadata) to flag those that have permission and then only show the files.
For example, you could edit the "Rights" metadata for those files.

Then you would have to edit your items/show.php file in your theme and NOT use the display_files_for_item() helper function. You'd have to write some php to loop through the files for that item and check to see if their Rights metadata allows them to be shown, then use display_file() helper function. You'll need to look through application/helpers/FileFunctions.php to figure out how this might work, as well as look at the application/models/File.php

It might eventually look something like this:

$item = get_current_item();
$files = $item->Files;
foreach($files as $file) {
  $rightsText = item_file('Dublin Core', 'Rights', array(), $file);
  if ($rightsText == 'whatever rights metadata text that allows permisssion to show the file') {
    echo display_file($file);
  }
}

Let me know if this helps.

Thanks for the response! I must admit that I am still very much a beginner with php. I looked at the files and fiddled around a little bit but I think I am way off. Mostly, I am lost when it comes to the FileFunctions.php and File.php. I can understand what you are saying but I am not sure how to go about implementing it!

Do you think future updates of Omeka may include a public/private file option or if a plugin could be developed for this? It seems like this would be a useful thing to have especially with all the copyright laws and regulations these days.

Thanks!

Hi dnwng,

The FileFunctions.php and File.php files are a bit complicated.

Here's what I would do if I were you.

Edit my items/show.php page in my theme.
Comment out the code that runs display_files_for_item().
Put in the code up above.
Instead of 'whatever rights metadata text that allows permisssion to show the file', I'd put in 'Can View', or whatever the name of the license is that can view it.

Then I'd go into each item, and edit the files for those items, and paste in 'Can View' or whatever the name of the license that allows me to view it.

Then the items/show.php page will only show files that can be viewed.

In the short run, we will probably not add this to the core, however you are welcome to post a feature request in the Feature Requests forum.

Also, we currently do not have plans to write a plugin to do this, however, we welcome all other plugin writers to write one. Perhaps you can try to hire someone to write that plugin on the Designer-Developer Marketplace forum.

Let me know if this helps.

Hi Wanderingwill,

I managed to get that far before but got this error message when I went to view the item (all the other metadata shows up fine and then this message shows up where the file would normally be):

Catchable fatal error: Object of class Item could not be converted to string...

I wonder if I am doing it right: here is what the code looks like with the changes:

<div id="itemfiles" class="element">
	    <h3>Files</h3>
		<div class="element-text"><?php echo $item = get_current_item();
$files = $item->Files;
foreach($files as $file) {
  $rightsText = item_file('Dublin Core', 'Rights', array(), $file);
  if ($rightsText == 'yes') {
    echo display_file($file);
  }
}; ?></div>
	</div>

Thanks again

Change this:

<div class="element-text"><?php echo $item = get_current_item();

to this:

<div class="element-text"><?php $item = get_current_item();

Basically, remove 'echo' in this spot.

It works! Thank you so much!!

One more related question--all the files show up on the item page and in the admin item page as square thumbnails. Where would I look to edit it to display regular uncropped thumbnails?

Would it be in File.php and FileFunctions.php?

Oh, I found it in media.php!