I did a fresh install of omeka last night on Bluehost. The site's homepage and admin pages are working fine - but anything below the homepage in the live site throws a 404.
The site: http://www.caseyfeldman.com/
PHP info: http://caseyfeldman.csectionrecovery.com/test.php
This an example of what it spits back when I try to go to the Browse Items page:
The requested URL /items was not found on this server.
Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.
Apache/2.2.11 (Unix) mod_ssl/2.2.11 OpenSSL/0.9.8k DAV/2 mod_auth_passthrough/2.1 mod_bwlimited/1.4 FrontPage/126.96.36.19935 Server at www.caseyfeldman.com Port 80
I read through the troubleshooting page, but I couldn't make sense of how to tell if mod_rewrite was set up properly. I have generated a php.ini file via bluehost's cpanel option to do so and put it in the site's root directory, but I don't know what (if anything) I need to update in there.
Please help! This is an online memorial for my cousin who passed away at the end of last week - so I am trying to set this up for friends and family to use to add memories of her.
Is Omeka's .htaccess file there on the server? You might need to tell cPanel's file manager to show hidden files. There should be a checkbox to say so.
That's my first guess.
It does have the .htaccess file in the site's root directory.
This is what is in that .htaccess file:
'# Use PHP5 as default
AddHandler application/x-httpd-php5 .php'
This is installed in an addon domain, so there is ANOTHER .htaccess file in the root domain's directory with different stuff in it. Could that be the issue? The other .htaccess has specifc redirects for my main domain along with this:
RewriteRule ^doc/([0-9]+) document.php?id=$1
RewriteRule ^doc/(.*)$ document.php?tag=$1'
But my impression is that this .htaccess file should only relate to that main domain, not the one in which I have omeka installed.
So far as I know, the different .htaccess files in different directories/domains should be fine (I have same thing in my BH account), so if you have Omeka's .htaccess file in the root of that Omeka installation, I'm not sure what it might be, and I'd just be in the realm of random guessing
Someone helped me figure it out. You actually were right - .htaccess was the problem all along. I had an .htaccess file that was there from when I created the domain. When I copied all of omeka's files over it did NOT overwrite the .htaccess file. I finally compared what was in my .htaccess file with what omeka ships -- and found the issue. Adding in all the content of the original .htaccess file below my .htaccess file's entry pointing to php5 has everything working.