Exhibit "Add a Section" error

I'm able to create an exhibit, but when I click on "add section" absolutely nothing happens. I've tried doing this on a mac and pc, using ie, firefox, safari. Nothing seems to be working. I'm able to browse the exhibits from my site and to see them later in the admin panel, so I know they're being created. I just can't add anything to them.
Everything else seems to be working just fine though - items, collections, etc.
Thanks in advance!!

Hi samipmallick,

What version of Omeka are you currently running? We had some bugs in the exhibit builder from the original version but they were fixed in

I haven't been able to re-create that error in my installation, so I will be interested to hear what version you are working from.


Hi Sheila,
Thanks for your response! I'm using It's really strange, I've been trying to figure out what's caused the error too, but am at a total loss. I installed Omeka on a different server to see if "Add a Section" was working there, and it seems to be just fine. The alterations I've made from the install are that I'm creating my own theme and I did install the Dropbox plugin. Besides that, I can't think of anything else I've changed.
I am going to try reinstalling Omeka. At this point I only have a few items added, so it won't make a big difference, but for future reference, is there a way to do this without losing all the items in my archive? I see the archive/ folder, of course, but are there other data files that I need to preserve?


For re-installing, you probably want to back up your entire SQL database, and then copy the files from the /archive folder.

Your exhibit builder issue may be a Java Scripting error. When you are logged in to your /admin screen, are the corners of the tabs in the dashboard rounded or squared off? Do they look exactly like the ones in the Sandbox? http://omeka.org/sandbox/demo/admin/

I'm asking this silly question because it will help me determine if your issue is just Java Scripting or if it is something else.


Wow, I think I figured out what it is. I had installed omeka onto the root directory so something like http://www.whatever.com/ would lead directly to the archive. It was this that was causing some kind of a problem. When I moved omeka into a new directory (http://www.whatever.com/omeka) it works just fine.
Is there any way for me to fix this? I'd like to still have http://www.whatever.com/ be the archive. I guess for now I can just automatically forward to my subdirectory.
Thanks for your help!
All the best,

I am having the same problem in that I am not able to add a section to an Exhibit. When I click on the icon nothing happens. I tried in IE and Firefox browsers. My url is pointing to the web root. I have not tried changing this to point the URL to webroot/folder. I am using the 9.1.1 version. I suspect that Javascript is broken on the page. When I move a mouse over the Add a section button, IE says "Errors on Page" at the bottom of the window.

Do you have a suggestion on how to fix it?

Than you,

Hi Tonu,

Does your admin interface show rounded tabs, like shown in the sandbox admin?
http://omeka.org/sandbox/demo/admin/ (demo, sandbox).

This will help us know if it is a Javascript error.


Hi Sheila, my tabs are rectangular shaped, not rounded as in the sandbox. Where does that lead us?


Thanks, Tonu. We are looking into this issue, because it appears that it is happening to a few others as well.

You might try doing what Samip did, which was to install Omeka into its own directory off of the root folder (www.yoursite.org/omekainstallation). That should solve the problem, but we realize that Omeka should be able to function from the root directory though and we are creating a ticket to investigate the problem.


Sheila, I changed my URL to http://..../omeka and now I am able to add a section to exhibits. The tabs also became rounded in the admin site. It would be nice to have it work with the root URL though. I look forward to the resolution.


This is a small bug in the current version of Omeka, and is actually related to the same problem as in http://omeka.org/forums/topic/unable-to-get-to-the-public-site-from-admin-screen. If you look at the source code for the front page, you'll notice that Omeka sets the wrong path for several resources, including javascript - the /admin/ sneaks in there.

The problem is somewhere in the paths.php file in the Omeka root directory - it will probably be fixed in the next version of Omeka. I had one of the developers show me how to fix it, but I deleted that email long ago. However, just send me an email (look up my website/contact info in my profile) and I'll be happy to email you a copy of my paths.php file.

Hey, thanks finnarne for your offer to help! I ended up upgrading to 9.2.2 and root path setup is working fine now.