I am, very unfortunately, having trouble with the CSV import plugin again after upgrading to 1.1. The import status is frozen.
I had everything working perfect but when I followed the upgrade instructions on the site, I got all kings of errors—for instance, you don't mention the need to transfer a theme if you customized. Then, the user login page would not load ("no file at http://wired.uoregon.edu/gendhist/admin/users/login") and I was forced to reinstall omeka, and even a create a new database. :( I had customized the login page but I only altered the css so I have no idea why these errors occurred.
This was all very annoying but then, when I did finally get things back up, the CSV plugin choked on me.
Please tell me that this is a known issue. And, hopefully there is an easy fix. Not even the test file imports correctly. And my settings are exactly the same as before.
Well, I did all that—since we are still just starting it