BlueHost Installation 404 error

I am attempting to upload Omeka on a BlueHost server and I'm receiving a 404 error when I attempt to go to the main page to install. I followed the instructions from the Omeka installation codex and I believe I've hit all the steps. I've tried different choices for the database host based on some of the other forum posts: localhost,, mysql, mysql.localdomain, and my site's IP address. The other fields should be correct (username, password, database name).

I also made sure that the .htaccess is in the root directory and it appears to be the correct Omeka version:

# Remember to enable display_errors on development environments only.
<IfModule mod_php5.c>
php_value display_errors 0
php_flag register_globals off

RewriteEngine on

# If know that mod_rewrite is enabled, but you are still getting mod_rewrite errors,
# uncomment the line below and replace "/" with your base directory.
RewriteBase /omeka

RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-f
RewriteRule ^admin/ - [C]
RewriteRule .* admin/index.php [L]

RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-f
RewriteRule .* index.php

<FilesMatch "\.(php|ini)$">
Order Allow,Deny
Deny from all

<Files index.php>
Allow from all

# Uncomment the lines below in order to enable caching of some files via Apache (after a finished site has gone live)
<IfModule mod_expires.c>
# <FilesMatch "\.(js|ico|gif|jpg|png|css)$">
# ExpiresActive on
# ExpiresDefault "access plus 10 day"
# </FilesMatch>

I don't have too much in the way of formal technical skills so I'm not quite sure what my next step should be to troubleshoot. The site is (omeka is the folder I created for the upload of the files). Any suggestions?

Have you contacted Bluehost to ask about your host name? And just be sure that the username and password is specific to that database. I use Dreamhost and the username and pass for my database is different than for my user account.

Thanks, I double-checked and I had the host name correct but did indeed have the username and database name wrong because they were missing a required prefix. Unfortunately I am still getting the 404 error. I re-uploaded my Omeka installation in case some of the files were not uploaded correctly, but same issue. I have seen a lot of forum issues on Mod_Rewrite issues, so I've been checking out code suggestions for that but so far to no avail. I don't know if this is correct but I made the following changes:

To .htaccess in the main Omeka folder and the install folder I added (at the top):
# General Apache options
AddHandler fcgid-script .fcgi
AddHandler cgi-script .cgi
Options +SymLinksIfOwnerMatch +ExecCGI

I also added to the site's main .htaccess file:
RewriteEngine On

The site's php.ini.default file looks like:
RewriteEngine On

# Use PHP5 Single php.ini as default
AddHandler application/x-httpd-php5s .php

At this point I'm kind of shooting in the dark with these code changes as I'm not a programmer. If the information in the db.ini file is correct any other ideas of what I can change to fix this?

Sorry that last bit of code was from the site's .htaccess file not php.ini.default. To the php I had tried adding at the end:

<?php phpinfo(); ?>
RewriteEngine On

The <?php phpinfo(); ?> and RewriteEngine On lines in your last excerpt definitely don't belong in that php.ini file. I'm also a little skeptical that a file called "php.ini.default" will actually have any effect on how your site runs. Normally a suffix like ".default" means you're meant to copy the file to just "php.ini" and then make your edits there.

I'm not really sure what's going on here, but emailing or otherwise contacting Bluehost is still probably your best bet, as they'll know all the details about your server setup and where files need to go.

Problem resolved! It wasn't the php and I made sure to take that extra code out (not sure if it's even using that file, like you said, but took it out just in case). It turned out to be a simple error in location of the Omeka folder. I didn't realize that it needed to be uploaded under the "public_html" folder as opposed to the overall root folder of the site. I moved the folder and was able to proceed with the installation.