500 Internal Server Error

Tried installing Omeka on hosting site. Based on previous post, I made sure the .htaccess issue and the PHP 5.2.x issues are solved.
I don't even get to the point where I am asked to install. The only thing I get is 500 Internal Server Error.

Anybody has any ideas what that could be?
thanks a bunch

JS

500 server errors are fairly general, so this could mean many things. If you have access to your error_logs file, tell us what you see in there that relates to Omeka - this is usually located in your /logs/ folder, or ask your server administrator for help.

Most people who experience this problem simply forget to upload BOTH .htaccess files, one in the root of the application, and the other in the admin folder. We'll have to add a script to autodetect them in the future. Something else that we've only recently run into, and is something abnormal that Bluehost does, which is automatically editing htaccess files based upon their own criteria. For example, Bluehost cuts out several htaccess commands that Omeka uses by default, and in previous versions has caused some problems.

If you could, I'd also check to see that your uploaded .htaccess files match the ones originally packaged with Omeka.

Lastly, I'm going to move this to the troubleshooting forums. Thanks!

Thanks. The .htaccess was not changed (I am using hostgator), but I did try so many things, not sure, which worked. I got the installation screen.

Now I have a new problem:
I run through the installation screen, got prompted that it was successful. Clicking to see my installation resulted in a blank screen, but the title in the title bar of the browser shows up.
The "view source" shows:

!-- Stylesheets -->
<link rel="stylesheet" media="screen" href="http://my_hosting_company/my_account/omeka/themes/default/css/screen.css" />
<link rel="stylesheet" media="print" href="Error:Could not find file 'css/print.css'!

When I try to go to /admin
I am getting again a 500.

My error logs show:
[24-Feb-2008 00:14:15] PHP Warning: PHP Startup: Unable to load dynamic library '/usr/local/lib/php/extensions/no-debug-non-zts-20060613//etc/ixed/ixed.4.4.lin' - /usr/local/lib/php/extensions/no-debug-non-zts-20060613//etc/ixed/ixed.4.4.lin: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory in Unknown on line 0

Is there a php function that is not turned on on the host side?

thanks in advance
Johannes

Sounds like Hostgator has installed a PHP extension (SourceGuardian) that isn't working properly. Omeka doesn't have any interaction with that extension, so my best guess would be to ask Hostgator if there are any reasons why that error would be showing up.

I just got a similar error.

http://www.historicalsocietyofsomersethills.org/omeka/admin/

My Host tech support team is telling me that there seems to be a problem with the .htaccess file that seems to be asking for a file that's not been uploaded.

I've reviewed the download and re-uploaded the admin directory along with the subdirectories using Leech FTP.

I didn't know if there are any permissions needed on the .htaccess file.
Mine has 644 permissions.

Any ideas?

All that's in the directory is the htaccess file, an index.php file, and the themes directory.

Page Error Below

Error

Internal Server Error
The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.
Please contact the server administrator, support@supportwebsite.com and inform them of the time the error occurred, and anything you might have done that may have caused the error.

More information about this error may be available in the server error log.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Apache/1.3.33 Server at www.historicalsocietyofsomersethills.org Port 80

It sounds like an internal server error is being logged - can you check a file 'error_log' that's probably in the root directory you see upon logging in to FTP? And paste what you find back here so we can take a look.

Tried logging in a bunch of times to the admin module....

http://www.historicalsocietyofsomersethills.org/omeka/admin/

This is what I'm getting....HELP

[Fri Mar 14 17:41:32 2008] [error] [client 69.249.59.157] File does not exist: /var/chroot/home/content/v/e/e/veehikle1/html/events_news/spacer.gif
[Fri Mar 14 17:58:33 2008] [alert] [client 68.192.188.165] /var/chroot/home/content/v/e/e/veehikle1/html/omeka/admin/.htaccess: Invalid command 'php_value', perhaps mis-spelled or defined by a module not included in the server configuration
[Fri Mar 14 17:58:36 2008] [alert] [client 68.192.188.165] /var/chroot/home/content/v/e/e/veehikle1/html/omeka/admin/.htaccess: Invalid command 'php_value', perhaps mis-spelled or defined by a module not included in the server configuration
[Fri Mar 14 17:58:42 2008] [alert] [client 68.192.188.165] /var/chroot/home/content/v/e/e/veehikle1/html/omeka/admin/.htaccess: Invalid command 'php_value', perhaps mis-spelled or defined by a module not included in the server configuration
[Fri Mar 14 18:00:22 2008] [error] [client 74.6.18.164] Directory index forbidden by rule: /var/chroot/home/content/v/e/e/veehikle1/html/Images/photoarchive/
[Fri Mar 14 18:24:01 2008] [error] [client 74.6.18.138] Directory index forbidden by rule: /var/chroot/home/content/v/e/e/veehikle1/html/Images/photoarchive/
SoftException in Application.cpp:624: Could not execute script "/home/content/v/e/e/veehikle1/html/cgi/discus"
Caused by SystemException in API_Linux.cpp:430: execve() for program "/home/content/v/e/e/veehikle1/html/cgi/discus" failed: Permission denied
[Fri Mar 14 18:51:02 2008] [error] [client 74.6.18.154] Premature end of script headers: /var/chroot/home/content/v/e/e/veehikle1/html/cgi/discus
[Fri Mar 14 19:09:25 2008] [error] [client 65.55.104.14] File does not exist: /var/chroot/home/content/v/e/e/veehikle1/html/drafts/bb.php
[Fri Mar 14 19:12:28 2008] [error] [client 74.6.23.217] Directory index forbidden by rule: /var/chroot/home/content/v/e/e/veehikle1/html/Images/photoarchive/
[Fri Mar 14 21:46:59 2008] [alert] [client 68.192.188.165] /var/chroot/home/content/v/e/e/veehikle1/html/omeka/admin/.htaccess: Invalid command 'php_value', perhaps mis-spelled or defined by a module not included in the server configuration
[Fri Mar 14 21:47:06 2008] [alert] [client 68.192.188.165] /var/chroot/home/content/v/e/e/veehikle1/html/omeka/admin/.htaccess: Invalid command 'php_value', perhaps mis-spelled or defined by a module not included in the server configuration
[Fri Mar 14 21:48:31 2008] [alert] [client 68.192.188.165] /var/chroot/home/content/v/e/e/veehikle1/html/omeka/admin/.htaccess: Invalid command 'php_value', perhaps mis-spelled or defined by a module not included in the server configuration
[Fri Mar 14 21:48:38 2008] [alert] [client 68.192.188.165] /var/chroot/home/content/v/e/e/veehikle1/html/omeka/admin/.htaccess: Invalid command 'php_value', perhaps mis-spelled or defined by a module not included in the server configuration

Hi, sorry for the delayed response, but could you upgrade your Omeka installation to the latest version (0.9.1)? We've fixed some of the issues with the .htaccess file and it may no longer cause problems for you. Thanks!

Hi, sorry for the delayed response, but could you upgrade your Omeka installation to the latest version (0.9.1)? We've fixed some of the issues with the .htaccess file and it may no longer cause problems for you. Thanks!

Thanks. Wiped clean and started over with the new .9.1.1 version. Now we get a new error.

The install part of the process was fine. When I go to the admin portion of the configuration I type http://www.historicalsocietyofsomersethills.org/omeka/admin

It brings me to http://www.historicalsocietyofsomersethills.org/omeka/admin/users/login

instead and then tells me that the page is not found.

The host is on Godaddy.com and I have all the proper sql and php.

Any idea? My install is off the root directory in a directory called omeka. Is that a problem for the .htacess files?

I'm getting lots of 500 Internal Server errors with both 1.0alpha and 1.0beta -- I do have both .htaccess files and have made sure that the archive directory has 777 permissions. Seems to be a Dropbox plugin error? I get this in my error log. Is the Dropbox plugin not, after all, ready to play with 1.0beta?

Premature end of script headers: index.php, referer: http://aphdigital.org/omeka-1\
.0beta/admin/dropbox

Update: I'm finding that I get the 500 errors when trying to add a whole bunch of files using "Select All." Web host tells me I'm running up against my memory limit. When I choose 5-10 images at a time it's okay -- process completes.

Hi,

I am new to Omeka (2.1.3), played with it in a local environment and am about to move the project to a webserver. Omeka will have to co-exist in a subdirectory with an installation of Joomla at the root level. After having unzipped the archive, however, I only get a http 500 error message.

Are there any suggestion what might have gone wrong?

Greetings,
Eric