Plugins are tools to extend the basic functionality of Omeka. A list of plugins available for download is on the Plugins Add-Ons Directory (Please note that not every plugin will work with every version of Omeka), and instructions are available on each plugin's documentation page.
Manage plugins from the Plugins page found at the top of your Dashboard. Plugins will be listed alphabetically. Each plugin listed will have links to perform various actions:
- Install: Runs the installer for the plugin and activates the plugin.
- Uninstall: Runs the uninstaller for the plugin and deletes any information in your installation related to the plugin.
- Activate: Activates plugin after it has been manually deactivated. All plugins will be activated once present in the Omeka /plugins directory on the server.
- Deactivate: Action merely "unplugs" the plugin but does not delete any data collected while plugin was active.
- Configure: Takes you to a page for customizing the plugin's unique settings.
In some cases, uninstalling plugins can delete data associated with the plugin from your database. Check the plugin's documentation before uninstalling if you're unsure.
Installing a Plugin
To add and activate a new plugin for your Omeka installation, follow these steps:
- Download and unzip the file on your desktop.
- Open your FTP client.
- Use your FTP login info to access your site.
- Navigate to your Omeka folder. It should have the same name as your Omeka install, and may be located in the public_html folder
- Open the /plugins folder
- Upload your new plugin folder into your Omeka website's /plugins folder. Sometimes the unpacked plugin is inside a folder of the same name so make sure you are uploading the correct directory. NB: your plugin must be inside the /plugins folder
- If the folder name has "-plugin" at the end, you will need to delete it so that the folder name matches the name of the plugin (with no spaces)
- Log in to your Omeka admin panel
- Navigate to Plugins, and find the plugin you uploaded.
- If the plugin is not visible, return to step 6 and double-check
- Click "Install" to finish the process.
- Click “Configure” if available/needed.
- Read documentation for plugin to understand configuration
To upgrade a plugin:
- Deactivate the plugin but do not uninstall.
- Remove the old plugin folder from your /plugins folder on your serve.
- Following the instructions above, upload the folder with the new version of the plugin.
- From the admin dashboard of your Omeka site, go to the Plugins tab on the top navigation menu.
- You may be directed to Upgrade your plugin - click the link to upgrade and then re-activate your plugin.
Some plugins are designed to provide basic functionality that is useful for many other plugins. Such plugins are required to be installed and active for other plugins that depend on them to work. If you upload a plugin to your site but cannot activate it due to a message like this, simply install the required plugin following the usual steps above.
The following plugins come prepackaged with Omeka:
- Coins – Adds Coins metadata to items on the admin theme and in public themes.
- SimplePages – Publish static pages on your public site.
- Exhibit Builder: Build narratives around your collections.
Documentation for all Omeka plugins working with version 2.0, see the Plugins2.0 page.