You can’t always get what you want
But if you try sometimes, well you just might find
You get what you need
With the immortal words of the Rolling Stones, we offer the Omeka 2.0 release candidate. New and improved based on the feedback and testing from the 2.0 Beta, this version of the software makes it possible for Omeka fans to get started on new projects today.
The Omeka Team is putting the finishing touches on updated themes and plugins that usually accompany our full release package. In the meantime, designers, developers, and translators can work with the core software, the default and Seasons themes, and the COinS and SimplePages plugins.
Omeka 2.0 sports a host of shiny new and improved features, including:
- an administrative interface that has been redesigned to improve workflow;
- an improved ability to customize site navigation with drag and drop;
- the opportunity to select a homepage from a range of available pages;
- the addition of Dublin Core Metadata fields to Collections;
- the ability to add comments or instructions to metadata fields for other users;
- the creation of thumbnail images for a fuller range of files;
- and, the availability of a new site-wide search.
Moreover, plugin and theme developers will discover more streamlined code, fewer functions to know (without any loss in capability), an increased number of hooks and filters, and greater overall consistency in how to use them. All of these improvements have been carefully documented by the Omeka Dev team.
Check out the screencast to get an overview of 2.0 goodness, and then go download your copy of the release candidate to get started!